AZEK Building Products celebrated Earth Day this year by opening to the public its new $25 million TimberTech Recycling Plant in Wilmington, Ohio. The new facility will reuse up to 100 million pounds of recycled material per year by just 2020.
AZEK says the recycling plant will increase the amount of material recycled annually by the company to overall to more up to 200 million pounds.
Some more statistics from AZEK’s announcement of the facility opening:
- The plant processes polyethylene-type plastic, like shampoo bottles, milk jugs, laundry detergent bottles and plastic wrap.
- The facility can recycle more than 55 million pounds of plastic this summer alone.
- 100% recycled plastic resin goes into the cores of TimberTech PRO and EDGE boards.
- Manufacturing is done on one continuous line, providing high efficiency.
- This plant uses energy efficient systems for power, water, heating/cooling and lighting.
The new facility is just the beginning, AZEK says. The company has committed to doubling recycling inputs by 2020 for all capped polymer materials, with a goal of 95% TimberTech decking to be made from recycled material.