According to researchers at the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University (JCHS), spending on home improvements is expected to continue to grow in 2021. Just like in 2020, homeowners are looking to maximize their living space at home – which translates to an increase in demand for building materials. This – on top of the existing lumber shortage and astronomically high lumber prices (a record-high of $1,048 per thousand board feet as of April) – could spell disaster and stalled projects for contractors across the U.S.
So how do you outsmart rising prices, shrinking inventory and high demand? You stock steel.
Even outside of the lumber shortage, contractors have already begun to seek smarter wood-alternative solutions for decking and framing. As more homeowners turn to wood-emulating bamboo or composite deck boards designed to last 20 years or more, it no longer makes sense to settle for a wood frame that will warp, twist or rot in less than 10.
To provide contractors, deck building pros and do-it-yourselfers with a high value, enduring steel framing solution, consider stocking the Evolution steel deck framing system from Fortress Building Products. It installs just like wood, even on curves. The interlocking joist and ledger system allows builders to install safe, sturdy decks with less effort, and greater spans between supports means fewer posts and overall materials. Homeowners will appreciate the premium powder coating that lends Evolution a modern, industrial aesthetic, while also making it invulnerable to rotting, warping, splitting and insect damage.
Key features of Evolution steel deck framing include:
- Installs just like wood – even on curves
- Stronger than wood; provides greater spans between supports for more usable space below upper-level decks
- Provides a safe, complete framing system – including stair framing
- Resistant to most tangible threats, including rot and decay, fungi, pests (such as termites) and weathering
- Profiles will remain straight and true over time, which keeps surface boards flat and smooth underfoot
- Works with any type or brand of decking, including composite, PVC, aluminum, tile, wood and tropical hardwoods for increased design flexibility
- Offers a premium Black Sand powder coat for a modern, industrial look
- Carries a 25-year limited manufacturer warranty
It used to be that the price of lumber made it the go-to material for decks and framing projects. But with today’s volatile market and limited availability, the price gap between wood and stronger, more durable materials is shrinking. There’s never been a better time to stock alternative options and promote smarter wood-alternative solutions to your customers. Drive sales and build loyalty with Evolution steel deck framing. To learn more, visit fortressbp.com/framing.